Item blocks are an element type that can be used along with an item template to easily deploy product or content recommendations to any web page. Rather than designing your own dynamic content and styling the message yourself, you can insert an Item Block element to add a pre-formatted layout to your message. An item block is a container for content - similar to how a picture frame is a container for a photograph or a piece of art.
Interaction Studio Classic Only
Please note, the contents of this article are intended for customers using Interaction Studio (formerly Evergage Classic). Do not adjust your beacon version to downgrade or upgrade.
- Select at least one Item Type (Products, Articles, or Blogs) in Catalog > Catalog Setup
- Define at least one Item Template
- Select Enable Dynamic Campaign Content in Settings > Integration Setup > General Setup > Advanced Options
- Confirm your Beacon Version is 10 or later in Channels & Campaigns > Web > Web Setup > Beacon Version
Using Item Blocks
Add an Item Block Element
- Log into Interaction Studio or Visual Editor
- Create or edit a campaign and create or edit a message
- Item Blocks will work in any type of campaign, so, if needed, you can change the message type to inline or infobar before adding the Item Block
- Click and select Item Block
Only one item block may be added per message, however you may have multiple messages in the same experience with different item blocks in each one.
Select an Item Template
Once you add an Item Block element, you'll configure the way it looks and what information is displayed using Item Templates. You must define at least one item template before continuing. See the article on Item Templates for guidance.
- Select Item Template
- Select the item template you want to use for this Item Block element
Select an Item Layout
Item Layout controls the layout of your items in the Item Block. For example, you can choose to display four items at a time as a 1 x 4 single row, or as a 2 x 2 grid. The maximum layout is 12 items displayed as a 6 x 6 grid.
- Still in
- Select Item Layout
- Drag your mouse across the grid to select the layout
Click again to register the selection
NOTEThe item block will automatically increase the message size to accommodate a larger grid, but will not decrease the size if you choose a smaller grid. You can manually adjust the message size by selecting the message and using the container handles to make the message smaller
Number of Items, Min and Max will automatically be adjusted based on the layout, but you can change Min value to be less than or equal to the Max value
Configure Cell Spacing (optional)
Cell spacing is an option which is used to define the distance between Items in the Item Block.
- Still in
- Select Spacing
- Enter or select the pixel distance between items, from 5 to 25
Click to register the selection
Configure Promoted Content
As with any Promoted Content campaign, you must select the promoted content which is displayed. For example, you could use an Einstein Recipe to determine which products appear in your campaign (shown at right).
- Click next to the message
- Select Message Settings
- Select Promoted Content
- Select the type of promoted content (in the example at the right, Recommendations is selected)
- Configure any additional settings. For example, select the Recipe. For more information, see the article on Adjust Message Settings
Unlike with other Promoted Content messages, if you select Recommendations you cannot set the Minimum and Maximum Recommended Items. These values are based on the selected Item Layout. While you may increase the value for Min items defined in the Item Block settings dropdown, the value for Max items is calculated by multiplying the number of columns in the Item Layout by the number of rows.