Manual segments are a type of segment with a fixed, manually-specified list of members, as opposed to rule-based segments, whose members are determined in real-time based on a defined set of rules. You can use manual segments to group known users or accounts based on data that is not natively collected by Interaction Studio or available through third-party integrations.
Why Use Manual Segments?
Typically, manual segments are used when you want to target a group of users using a variable not tracked by Interaction Studio. For example, suppose you are hosting a live event and want to personalize your website for event attendees. You would need to create a manual segment connecting Interaction Studio to your tracking system by a common data point like attendee email address. Other scenarios that would require the addition of a manual segment for targeting include:
Recent trade show or webinar attendees
Users who are part of a particular mailing list
Ideal users – flagging this group to use as an input to engagement score
Other uses include:
Freeze users as of a particular day or date range. Adding them to a manual segment preserves their values on that
- Setting a manual segment as a filter for campaign measurement. Note that manual segments cannot be set up as goals in Interaction Studio
Create a Manual Segment
Adding Members to a Manual Segment
After you save the segment, you will be on the Users tab. Since this is a manual segment, the Users tab will not have members until you add them. You have 3 options to add users to a manual segment.
- Add users one at a time using the Add User field on the Users tab.
- Add users using the Upload CSV functionality on the Users Tab
- Add users using a CSV upsert through the REST API (please note this option is only available for customers using Evergage Classic)
- Set up an Manual Segment ETL feed integration using the Feeds Dashboard.
Add Users One at a Time
Add Users by Uploading a CSV
CSV File Layout
- In the Users tab, click the Upload CSV button
- Prepare your CSV file using the format below.
- Select the file and upload it
- Validate that your segment added users in the Users tab
The CSV record must contain a column with the header value ID, id, or name with values that match Interaction Studio User or Account IDs. The file may include additional columns, but they will be ignored by Interaction Studio.
Add Users through the REST API
Review full instructions for upserting users with the REST API in this knowledge base.
Evergage Classic Only
Please note, this option is only available for customers with datasets on beacon version 15 or lower. You will not be able to change your dataset's beacon version above version 15 and if you downgrade below beacon version 16, you will not be able to upgrade yourself.
If your dataset is on beacon version 16 or higher, please use another option to add users to your manual segment.
Add Users through the Manual Segment ETL
Review full instructions for Manual Segment ETL in this knowledge base.