- Log into Interaction Studio
- Select USER SEGMENTS or ACCOUNT SEGMENTS from the left navigation bar
Click NEW SEGMENT
NOTEMost customers can only create User Segments, which is the default Segment Type. If you have accounts configured on your dataset and want to create an Account Segment, you must first select that as the Segment Type from the drop-down.
- Enter the Segment Name
- Select the Category for the first rule in your segment. For more details on rule categories, please see Segment Usage
Campaign - You can create segments based on whether a visitor has seen or interacted with a campaign, or whether they were part of the control group, and how many times, or how recently this has happened.
Action - You can create segments based on whether a visitor has carried out a specific action or group of actions, and how many times they may have done so, as well as how recently they have done it. You can distinguish between page views and click actions.
Subscription - (demand generation sites only) You can create segments based on subscription level or where a user/account is in the lifecycle of the subscription. The location of this segment rule option is dependent on your dataset configuration. For B2B customers, this is typically tracked at the account level. For B2C customers, this is typically tracked at the user (consumer) level.
- Visits - You can create segments based on the visit data, including visit count, visit duration, visit recency, time since first visit, the originating referrer that drove them to your site or just look at anonymous visitors
Location - You can create segments based on where a visitor is located. You can see the exact zipcode (US only), City, Metro, State/Region or Country. You can also segment on the distance from a Zipcode (US only), City or Long Lat coordinate. ISP is also a variable that can be used. Note that there is also the ability to segment based on company name or industry vertical if you invest in the B2B Detect feature.
Metrics - You can create segments based on the user and account attributes that are standard within Interaction Studio, you have created through Interaction Studio, or you have imported into Interaction Studio. You can segment on both text attributes (attribute equals, or attribute exists) as well as integers through the KPI segment.
Third Party - This option will only populate if you have a first-class third party email provider syncing with Interaction Studio. Currently, Eloqua and Marketo are available.
- Items - Available to customers with the Interaction Studio Catalog, you can segment based on products, categories, articles, keywords, etc. and see the amount spent, added to cart, abandoned, etc.
- Select the Rule for the category
- Complete the fields as needed to create your segment
If needed, click NEW RULE to add additional rules
Each rule will show as a separate column in the Segment Details screen and when you export the segment
- Select logic gates for additional rules:
- AND–segment membership requires that a visitor meet criteria for all rules listed
- OR–segment membership requires that a visitor meet one or more of the criteria for all rules listed
You may need to include both AND and OR logic gates in your segment rules. Since you are only able to choose one logic gate per group, you can accomplish this by adding additional groups of rules.
If needed, click NEW GROUP to add an additional group of rules.
Add additional rules as described in steps 1-5 in Add Rules above
The example at the right shows Groups in action. This segment defines who will receive a 10% discount coupon: first-time visitors from California, or anyone who has viewed the Family Demo campaign. Since the multiple criteria need to be separated by different logic gates, grouping rules helps accomplish the segment goal.