You can pass data from Journey Builder to Interaction Studio during the course of the customer journey. You can include custom action names that indicate the Journey or Journey Step. After you share the data with Interaction Studio, you can use it to personalize the experience your customers have with your website or mobile app based on recent journey interactions.
- Journey Builder and Interaction Studio accounts integrated with Marketing Cloud.
- A Journey Builder Journey.
- Permissions in Marketing Cloud Setup:
- General > Access, View and Automation > Create, Edit permissions in Journey Builder.
- Contacts > Read Contact Data permissions in Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
Admin permissions for Interaction Studio
[NOTE: Alternatively you can have an Interaction Studio role with User/Account Profile > Create/Edit permissions.]
Add Interaction Studio Journey Builder Activity to a Journey
- Edit the journey in Journey Builder.
- In the Customer Updates section, drag Interaction Studio Activity onto the canvas.
- In the Interaction Studio Activity Summary pane, click Configure.
- On the Dataset tab, select the dataset for the site, brand, or other data you want to send data to.
- On the Action Name tab, select the Action Name Type:
- Static - each person going through the journey records the same action. For example, everyone who comes on this journey is on the Welcome journey.
- Dynamic - each person who goes through the journey records an action specified by an attribute in Marketing Cloud. For example, one person is on a Welcome Credit Card journey and another is on a Welcome Mortgage journey.
- Enter the Action Name will be recorded in Interaction Studio on this step. Type the value in for static action types or select the value from Journey Data or a Data Extension with dynamic types.
- On the Identifiers tab, select one or more Interaction Studio identifiers, and then enter the Marketing Cloud Attribute that the identifier maps to. For example, you can map Contact ID in Marketing Cloud to customerid in Interaction Studio. The Interaction Studio Identity System combines records in Interaction Studio that have the same value. It is critical that you select a Marketing Cloud attribute with a unique value to avoid having merged records that don’t represent the same individual.
- [Optional] On the Attributes tab, select the Attribute Type to select any attributes you want to use for targeting, segmentation, and personalization.
- Static - each person going through the journey records the same value. For example, everyone who comes on this journey has a favorite color of ‘Blue’.
- Dynamic - each person who goes through the journey has a favorite color specified from an attribute in Marketing Cloud. For example, one person likes ‘Blue’ and another likes ‘Green’.
- [Optional] Enter the Attribute that will be recorded in Interaction Studio on this step. For static action types, enter the value. For dynamic action types, select the value from Journey Data or a Data Extension.
- Save the activity and complete any other Journey configuration.
Edit Interaction Studio Journey Builder Activity Configuration
- To edit the Interaction Studio Journey Builder Activity Summary, click Interaction Studio Update on the Journey Builder canvas.
- On the Dataset tab, you can select a new dataset, but this action resets other parts of the configuration since attributes and identifiers are specific to each dataset.
- On the Action tab, you can select a new Action Type or Action Name.
- On the Identifiers tab, you can add or change identifiers.
- On the Attributes tab, you can add or change attributes.
- Save the activity.
Whether customers are on your website, talking to your call center, or entering loyalty numbers into your POS, their experiences are tied together by Interaction Studio and Journey Builder. Using Interaction Studio Journey Builder Activity, when your customers open your mobile app or navigate to your website, they see banners and recommendations. The banners and recommendations are based on where they are in the journey you created in Journey Builder, such as a Back to School journey.
While on a Back to School journey, a retail customer has finished purchasing uniforms for a student. Interaction Studio Journey Builder Activity suggests a backpack that fits the age and color choices of the student.
And a different customer on a bank’s Back to School journey signs up for a student checking account. Interaction Studio Journey Builder Activity suggests a credit card that is popular with college students and helps build a credit profile.