(888) 310-0589 x2
With SmartBatch Email, you can send personalized recommendations to the most active and interested members of your opt-in list. SmartBatch uses advanced machine learning to dynamically target the most relevant subset of your total opt-in list prior to each scheduled deployment. “Relevancy” is determined by cross-referencing the most up to date shopper and catalog data ensuring that the audience selected each week is met with the most pertinent and relatable content. This approach helps you avoid the email fatigue typically experienced with batch and blast methodologies.
You must have purchased SmartBatch to execute the strategy outlined in this playbook. Please contact your Customer Success Manager for more information.
Since email templates are built within Evergage and are fully customizable, you have the flexibility to include different content areas and product recommendations depending on your strategies and goals. You can configure the email to generate content areas or recommendation zones in one of two ways, and since you can define them by section, you can combine the two options in one email.
- Send-time - this option generates content and/or recommendations at the time the email is sent so these personalized elements remain the same each time a recipient opens the email. The personalized elements in the email are still 1:1, but they are influenced by the behavior of the recipient at the time the email is sent, not each time it is opened.
- Open-time - this option generates content and/or recommendations automatically each and every time the email is opened, so personalized elements update in real time based on current promotions, recent shopper engagements, and known shopper affinities. This means that the email will update to include current promotions and the personalized elements will be replaced with new content that reflects the most recent visitor behaviors.
SmartBatch also has out of the box subject line A|B testing functionality so that you can assess what messaging is resonating best with your shopping audience from their very first engagement with a brand.
In this example, the email is sent monthly and includes product recommendations that are generated at send time, but the content zones are generated at open time. This means that the product recommendations shown in the middle of the email will be personalized to each recipient based on their individual behavior at the time the email is sent and will remain the same every time the email is opened. However, the content zone at the top, which highlights "These in Just for You" in this example, will update every time the email is opened. This means that if the email is opened sometime later, and you have a new content area scheduled to show during that time (for example, seasonal selections or a specific catalog link) the recipient will see that new content area rather than the previously scheduled banner and the email will remain in alignment with your most up-to-date marketing calendar.
The first email, sent to a visitor with limited behavior on your site, shows a content area entitled "These in Just for You" and recommendations that are varied as Evergage is continuing to learn her affinities, interests, and preferences. When she receives the second email, the content area has been updated, and she sees recommendations that are further refined as the season changes, and her affinities, interests, and preferences become more apparent. The third email has a different content area and targeted recommendations which represent this shopper's activity on the site.
This approach could also work well for promotions that are short-lived so the recipient does not see expired promotions when she returns to your email looking for that one product she was interested in a few weeks ago and now wants to buy.
Email Opt-in List. An added benefit of the Smart Batch emails is that the messages are delivered to a subset of your total opt-in list based on the qualifying criteria within the Smart Batch algorithms. So though the chosen audience size will remain consistent, the audience makeup will be dynamically changing from week to week. This ensures each delivery is relevant and timely without over inundating your shoppers with email communication.
The analysis of the Smart Batch campaign should begin with email open rates. As a best practice, refresh subject lines seasonally (and throughout the season) to remove under-indexed subject lines. The campaign highlighted in this playbook is aimed at driving shoppers back to your site. Click-through rates become a focal point, so it is important to update content zones and specify landing pages regularly. Additionally, you should choose recipes that deliver the most relevant product recommendations to your shopping audience.
Smart Batch emails should be scheduled on a day(s) of the week that does not interfere with regularly scheduled campaigns elsewhere in your email-marketing vehicle. The consistency of the deployment coupled with the dynamic audience selection takes a large portion of the workload off of your email team, a workload that would be required of more manual campaigns. Smart Batch emails can also be scheduled on a list of recurring dates if other in-house marketing campaigns are being scheduled on an ad-hoc basis.
The results should be a more valuable email (RPU) that drives significant engagement metrics (open rate, click-through rate) by delivering relevant content on regular intervals without placing a burdensome workload on your team.
Here is a checklist of what you need to do in Evergage to create this play on your own site:
- Automate the delivery of an email subscriber feed. This can be a list that is updated by and opt-in and opt-out feed incrementally or a complete subscriber list each time. The feed must be updated every 10-days to remain CAN-SPAM compliant.
- Design an email template and/or leverage an existing Evergage template. This includes the configuration of the navigation bar, any content zones (and related click-through URLs), the layout of the recommendations and desired image size, as well as the header and footer copy, if desired
- Determine which attributes you would like displayed for the product recommendations (e.g. product name, price, sale price, reviews)
- Configure a recipe (or multiple recipes depending on the template design) that will be used as the logic the powers the product recommendations
- Choose your subject line(s)
- Choose the desired cadence for scheduling. Evergage recommends a weekly deployment scheduled to occur on the same day and at the same time.
- Specify any desired email lockout periods
- Preview and publish
The following articles from the Evergage Knowledge Base will provide process steps to help you execute this play: