Interaction Studio Classic Only
- The contents of this article are intended for customers using Interaction Studio (formerly Evergage Classic). Do not adjust your beacon version to downgrade or upgrade.
- The Visual Editor Chrome Extension will no longer be available starting January 1, 2023. For more information, see this knowledge article.
There are many ways to use surveys to feed personalization. One example is to survey customers who visit your site to find out what industry they identify with. For example, consider the site "evergage.com". When you arrive for the first time on the page, you are asked a single question about which industry you represent so you can receive an experience tailored to that industry. Once you make a selection, you are added to a segment of people who also selected that option. Then Interaction Studio changes the look of the homepage to appeal to those in your sector including copy changes, a testimonial from a technology company, technology customer logos, and a “What Does Evergage Do?” video for ABM and demand generation.
Before personalization from the survey response
After personalization from the survey response of "Technology"
Create a Survey and a Message
If you haven’t already, log into Interaction Studio
Add a new message
Configure the message Type as needed
Create Survey Response Segments
Create a new segment for each survey response with the following parameters:
- Category: Metrics
- Rule: Text Attribute
- Attribute: the question you want to personalize from for this segment. For this example it would be "Help us tailor your experience to your industry"
- Operator: the operator that fits the question and answer combination. For this example it would be "equals"
- Value: the value that you want to use for segmentation, meaning that anyone who responded such that the segment setup parameters were met would be added to the segment. For this example it would be "Technology"
Add a Survey
After you create your message, you need to configure it to use the survey content.
Click Insert Element
Select the survey from the Select Survey dropdown
Select Responsive to make the survey responsive in size or Fixed to make it fit inside the message container
To preview the survey, click Render Survey within the campaign message
If needed, click Edit Survey and make changes to the survey
- Test and publish your campaign
Create Follow-up Personalization Campaigns
Now you need to create a campaign to support the personalization you want to trigger for each survey respondent. In this example, there are campaigns for each industry that change the appearance of the page to provide information that will best resonate with visitors who identify as being part of that industry. In the example described above, the home page is different for each of the industries to appeal to those from each industry.
Now you need to add rules to the message as well as the follow-up personalization campaigns you create. For more information about adding rules, please see Add Rules for Campaigns, Experiences, and Messages.
Add a message level rule to show the survey message after a brief delay. Typically you want the time on page delay long enough so the visitor is not bombarded the moment he or she arrives on your site, but not so long that he or she has left the page you want to personalize using a survey. Setting this to between 3 and 10 seconds is a good start, but you may need to adjust this.
- While editing the campaign containing the survey, click
- Select Rules
- Under On Page Behavior, click New Rule
- Select Time on Page (Delay)
- Enter the number of seconds
- Click OK
Experience or campaign-level rules
Depending on your strategy, you may create different experiences or entirely different campaigns to support follow-up personalization. You need to add a rule to connect that personalization campaign to each segment of visitors who should see it.
- While editing each personalization campaign, select SETUP
- Add a Target Users > Segment rule either as a campaign-level rule in Campaign Settings or as an experience-level rule by selecting each experience
- Select the segment for that campaign or experience
- Click SAVE to save the campaign
View Campaigns Including the Survey
- Log into Interaction Studio
- From the navigation at the left, select Surveys
- Locate the desired survey
- Campaigns including the survey are listed in the Linked Campaigns section to the right (in the example to the right, Survey Inline is the only campaign that includes this survey)
View Survey Results
Select the survey folder
Click next to the survey you want to view results for
Clicknext to Edit Survey to export survey data