Interaction Studio Classic Server-side campaigns gives you the ability to integrate Interaction Studio testing and personalization at the server-to-server level. While Interaction Studio handles the campaign logic, a developer is required to write the code to call the appropriate APIs and provide Interaction Studio with the necessary information about the user. Please refer to the Event API documentation for Interaction Studio.
It works like this: Your servers call the Interaction Studio server-side campaign API, providing information about the visitor (typically user ID). With that information, Interaction Studio handles the campaign logic and returns recommendations and other campaign data (in JSON format) that applies to that visitor. Your server is responsible for handling the JSON and building the message to show the visitor, as well as calling the appropriate action tracking APIs to track campaign impressions and clicks.
Server-Side Classic Campaigns
Interaction Studio Campaigns & Templates Customers: as of 3/31/2021, you will not be able to create NEW Server-Side classic campaigns. Instead, refer to documentation on the updated Server-Side campaign system that leverages Server-Side Templates. Any existing Classic Server-Side campaigns will continue to function and be available for editing/adjustments.
Interaction Studio Classic Customers: continue to leverage Classic Server-Side campaigns to create new Server-Side classic campaigns.
Using Interaction Studio to Create a Server-Side Campaign
Before You Begin
Create a Server-Side Campaign
Server-side messages are created at the Campaign level in Interaction Studio.
- Log into Interaction Studio
- Select Server-Side Campaigns in the Channels & Campaigns section at the left.
- Click New Campaign.
Create a Server-Side Campaign Message
- Enter a Target.
- Click Add New to insert a new row.
- Define a key, value pair under the Name and Value columns.
- A value can be returned as quoted text by selecting Text as Type, or Number to be formatted as an unquoted number. See below on how to configure Promoted Content
- Insert dynamic content queries in the Value column by clicking a value in the grid, then selecting an option from the Dynamic+ dropdown.
- Dynamic Message Content is not supported in Name, only as values.
- Click the Copy To All to copy all values in the row to all experiences in the campaign.
- Select Delete will remove that row from all experiences.
Configure Promoted Content
Configure Promoted Items in Message Settings if the message contains any Promoted Content types.
Name can be anything, Value should be
$itemsand Type Promoted Content to return all applicable items in a JSON array.
“Name” can be anything, “Value” should be $items and “Type” Promoted Content to return items in JSON format
Can return ADMC in text or number format (configured by “Type”). Provide a default value or the message will fail to render if no values are found
Dynamic Message Content not supported in “Name”, only as values
Insert Dynamic Message Content with dropdown by clicking in a Value, then selecting an option from the dropdown
Preview the Message
You can preview the rendered JSON message:
- Click Preview
- Under Experience, choose an experience to preview
- Select a Test User to view JSON that would return for the user
- The message will be under the "dataMap" key
Using Interaction Studio to Setup A/B Tests, Targeting, and Recommended Content
Set up A/B Tests or Rule-Based Targeting
Click on the orange SETUP button and Experiences to access this interface. Here you can:
- Clone the Experience you made
- Set up A/B tests and control percentages
- Target experiences based on rules
Control the whole Campaigns Targeting Rules and Goals
Click on the orange SETUP button and Campaign Settings to access this interface. Here you can:
- Setup the Goals for this particular campaign (Remember all campaigns are auto-attributed against your Global Goals)
- Target all experiences in the campaign to particular segments
- Schedule the Campaign
Control the Campaign Schedule
It is easy to control the campaign schedule through this UI.
View Campaign Results
Summary Campaign Statistics
Summary campaign statistics are available in the campaign overview screen
Detailed Campaign Statistics and Analysis
Detailed Campaign statistics are available by clicking on any campaign in the overview screen.
- See lift over control for all global goals and campaign specific goals
- Confidence using Bayesian statistics
- Analyze by click vs view attribution.
- Analyze impact for different segments.
- Change the attribution window
- Look at different time periods
Catalog Stats are also updated
Examples of Server-Side Campaigns
Experience A Setup
With an ALS Recipe
Experience B Setup
With a static promoted content for an Avery Oxford Shirt